Nerves, tension, stress, sometimes one is not relaxed enough to fall asleep. Instead of taking pills or other things, here are five things that can help.
- Deep breathing exercises: Slow, deep breathing has been shown to reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Progressive muscle relaxation: This technique involves tensing and then relaxing each muscle group in the body, helping to release tension and promote a sense of calm.
- Guided imagery: Listening to a guided imagery script or visualization can help to calm the mind and prepare for sleep.
- Yoga or gentle stretching: Gentle yoga poses or stretching can help to relax the body and prepare for sleep.
- Mindfulness meditation: Mindfulness meditation can help to focus the mind and promote a sense of calm and relaxation, making it easier to fall asleep.